COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

How to address a concern or appeal a decision

Find out the steps you can take if you have a concern about how the plan rules were applied.

Have a question or concern about your pension?

If you have a concern about British Columbia Pension Corporation's service or a decision we’ve made that affects you, we want to hear about it. We care about getting things right. Please phone, email or write us. In most cases, we can resolve the issue quickly, easily and to everyone's satisfaction.

Any person entitled to a benefit, or their agent, has the right to examine the plan documents, data and public information about the plan.

Contact us at:

Municipal Pension Plan
PO Box 9460
Victoria BC V8W 9V8
Phone: 250-953-3000 (Victoria)
Phone toll-free in Canada and U.S.: 1-800-668-6335
Online: Sign in to My Account and click the envelope for Message Centre

What happens when you contact us

We will review the information you give us as well as any relevant background information in our files. We will then respond to you promptly with answers to your questions or information about how we’re addressing the issues you have raised. As the administrative agent of BC's Municipal Pension Plan, our priority is to ensure we apply the plan rules correctly.

If you aren't satisfied with our response

If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact the director of pension operations at Pension Corporation in writing. Include any information and documents relevant to your concern.

The director will review any information you provide to determine whether the corporation correctly applied the rules in your case. Immediately after completing this administrative review, the director will send you a letter either confirming or changing the original decision.

Option to appeal

If you are still not satisfied after the Pension Corporation’s director of pension operations’ administrative review, you can appeal the matter to the Municipal Pension Board of Trustees.

You have one year from the date of the director’s administrative review letter to start the appeal process.

Please note that you can’t appeal the plan rules. You can only appeal a decision made by Pension Corporation in how it has applied the plan rules.


Related content for appealing a decision

Municipal Pension Plan rules