COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Submit a document to change your last name

Send us a copy of an official document showing your new last name. 

To let us know about your new last name, send a copy of one of the following legal documents to BC's Municipal Pension Plan:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Legal change-of-name document

Another way to tell us of your name change

You can also tell us of your name change by signing in to My Account and updating your Personal Profile information. You will need to upload an electronic copy of a legal document showing your new last name.


If you are an active, inactive or limited member, you can change your last name online.

If you are a retired member, please contact the plan to let us know your name has changed.

Required information
  • A copy of a marriage certificate or legal change-of-name document