COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we are not accepting paper documents at this time. Please send all forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account or need assistance, please contact us.

Tell us if your spouse dies

If you are a plan member and your spouse dies, contact us so we can guide you through the actions you might need to take regarding your pension.

The death of a loved one is a difficult time, with many details to take care of and decisions to make. If your spouse dies, please contact us so we can let you know of any decisions you need to make about your pension benefit.

Whom to contact

If your spouse   dies before you retire, contact your employer and BC's Municipal Pension Plan by phone or in writing to let us know.

If your spouse dies after you have retired, contact the plan.

You will need to send us a copy of your spouse’s death certificate.

Update your beneficiary information

Your spouse was automatically your beneficiary,   unless they gave up this right. If your spouse was your beneficiary, the alternate beneficiary you may have named to your spouse will receive your pension benefit, if applicable, when you die.

If you are an active plan member, name a new beneficiary by either:

  • Signing in to My Account to make your change immediately
  • Sending the Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form to the plan

If you are a retired plan member, your ability to name a new beneficiary may be restricted, depending on the pension option you chose at retirement. You can find this information on your semi-annual statement. If you are able to name a new beneficiary, do so by sending us the Change of beneficiary form for retired members.

Cancelling health care coverage for your spouse

If your spouse received health and/or dental care coverage through the plan as a retired member, we will adjust your coverage and refund any premiums, if applicable.

Death benefits from other agencies

Contact Service Canada to notify it of your spouse’s death. It can answer your questions about the Canada Pension Plan, old age security and related programs.


External links for when a spouse dies

Contact Service Canada