What types of service you can buy

Learn about the types of service you can buy to potentially increase your future pension.

Claiming credit for child-rearing

You can be credited with up to five years of contributory service for the time you were off work to raise children. Increased contributory service could help you become eligible for an unreduced pension before you reach age 60 (or 55 if you are a police officer or firefighter in Group 2 or 5).

Unlike buying service for a leave, you do not have to pay to buy contributory service   for time you took off work to raise a child.

You can apply to have the plan count the time you took off work to raise children as contributory service if you:

  • Had service in the plan before you took time off to raise a child
  • Quit work or took an employer-approved leave of absence specifically to raise a child under age seven
  • Did not contribute to a registered pension plan during the child-rearing time
  • Return to work after the child-rearing period
  • Began contributing to the plan after returning to work

You can apply for any number of child-rearing periods, up to a maximum of five years in total.

To apply to have your child-rearing time count towards your contributory service, complete and send a Child-rearing declaration form to BC's Municipal Pension Plan. 

You must apply while you are an active member or within 30 days of leaving your job with your employer that participates in the plan. If you work for more than one employer, you'll remain an active member until you leave all your positions with employers that participate in the plan.