COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we are not accepting paper documents at this time. Please send all forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account or need assistance, please contact us.

Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers

Lawyers are often asked to advise clients about dividing a pension benefit between a plan member and a former spouse. Learn more about the information and documents we need to administer a pension following a relationship breakdown.

Submit authorization to release information

We require authorization to release information about a plan member’s pension account to a third party. This authorization can be provided in one of two ways:

  • A former spouse of a plan member can submit Form P1 Claim and request for information and notice to the plan
  • The plan member can submit their authorization in a written letter to the BC's Municipal Pension Plan