COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Claim a death benefit

When a plan member dies, we will send information about next steps to their beneficiary (or beneficiaries) and/or executor.

When a plan member dies, we will share important information about death benefits with the beneficiaries named on file and/or the executor of the plan member's estate.

We will send you an information package if you are entitled to a death benefit as a beneficiary or if you are the executor of a plan member’s estate. This package will explain the death benefit you are entitled to receive and how you will be paid.

It will also include one of the following forms that you need to return to us:

  • If the plan member died before retiring, a Pre-retirement death benefits statement
  • If the plan member died after retiring, a Survivor pension benefit application

We may also need other information before we can finalize the payment of death benefits:

  • If you are a beneficiary, we need proof of your identity, such as a copy of your driver’s licence or passport
  • If you represent an organization named as a beneficiary, we need the organization’s Canada Revenue Agency number
  • If the plan member had not yet retired, we need a proof-of-age document for them
  • If the plan member’s current name is different from what's on the proof-of-age document, we need a copy of a change-of-name document, such as a marriage certificate, adoption paper, passport or legal name-change document

The package and statement we send you will clearly explain any additional information you will need to send us.

If it applies to your situation, you may also have the option of receiving or maintaining extended health and dental coverage through BC's Municipal Pension Plan. If the plan member died before retiring, you, as a spouse, may apply to receive health care coverage by sending us a completed application. If the plan member died after retiring from the plan and you were covered under the health plan, you may continue your coverage for as long as you're receiving a monthly pension payment from the plan. Premiums for health care coverage will be deducted from your pension payment.

Once you return the application form and any required documents to us, we are authorized to pay you your portion of the death benefit.

We will deduct income taxes from both monthly pension payments and lump-sum payments.