Paying back a refund

Find out what you can do if you left your job and took a pension refund, but are now working and contributing to the pension plan again.

If you left a job with an employer participating in the plan and withdrew your pension contributions, but you are now contributing again, you may be able to pay back the funds you withdrew (plus interest). This is called paying back a refund and reinstating service.

Paying back a refund and reinstating service may increase the monthly pension payment amount you receive when you retire, or allow you to become eligible for an unreduced pension earlier.


  • The option to reinstate service applies only to service earned before January 1, 1998
  • If you took a refund of a commuted value transfer, that commuted value cannot be reinstated

For more information, please contact the plan.