COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Tell us how to divide your pension

Let us know if you've separated or divorced and how we should divide your pension.

We need to know if you and your spouse have separated or divorced. We also need to know how you want us to divide your pension between you and your former spouse.

Send us one of the following documents:

  • Complete, signed separation agreement
  • Registered court order
  • Form P9 Agreement to have benefits divided

You can only submit Form P9 if you do not have a separation agreement or court order stating how to divide your pension.

The document you submit should clearly indicate how to divide your pension. Your document needs to include:

  • The correct name of the pension plan (or plans) to be divided.
  • The start and end dates (day, month and year) of the entitlement period. The Family Law Act normally considers this to be from the time you and your former spouse started living together until the date you separated.
  • Your former spouse’s share of the pension expressed as a percentage amount. The Family Law Act defaults to 50 per cent of pension earned during the entitlement period, but it can also be more or less. If the percentage is more or less than 50 per cent, we need your court order or separation agreement to indicate the correct percentage amount.

We cannot divide a pension by a set dollar amount.

Note: you need to seek the help of a lawyer if there are any special requirements for dividing your pension that are different from those under the Family Law Act – for example, if the division will include any service purchased after the entitlement date.


Related content for dividing your pension

Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers