Add a spouse or dependant(s) to your retirement health coverage
Send us a form to add your spouse and/or eligible dependant(s) to your extended health care and/or dental coverage after you start receiving your pension.
Complete the form
- Complete the form online
- Print, sign and date the form
- Submit the form to the Municipal Retiree Benefit Trust
You can add your spouse and/or dependant(s) to your extended health and/or dental coverage through the Municipal Retiree Benefit Trust if they:
- Are a permanent resident of Canada
- Have medical coverage through a provincial health plan in the province where they live if they're applying for extended health care coverage
- Are joining the plan within 60 days of your retirement date, or you can provide proof they had continuous coverage in another plan
- The continuous coverage must be stopped, and you need to enrol within 60 days of stopping that coverage
- Meet the eligibility requirements in the coverage booklet
If you have not yet applied to receive your pension, you can add your spouse and/or dependant(s) to your extended health and/or dental coverage as part of your application.
If you are applying for coverage 60 days or more after your retirement date, you must:
- provide proof of continuous coverage with another provider that has been stopped and
- enrol within 60 days of stopping that coverage.
You must provide the same proof for your spouse and eligible dependant(s) if you wish to enrol them as well.