Cancel your retirement health coverage

Learn how to cancel your enrolment in the extended health care and dental plans through the Municipal Retiree Benefit Trust.

You can cancel your:

  • Extended health care coverage at any time
  • Dental coverage after you have been a member of the plan for 12 months

If you cancel your coverage, you may not be able to re-enrol in the plan(s) later on. You can only re-enrol later if you:

  • provide proof that you had continuous coverage with another provider that is now stopped and
  • enrol within 60 days of stopping that coverage.

You must provide the same proof for your spouse and eligible dependant(s) to enrol them.

You must cancel your coverage if you, your spouse and/or dependant(s) are no longer eligible. This could occur, for example, if:

  • You move out of the country
  • You separate or divorce
  • Your over-age dependent child:
    • marries
    • works more than 30 hours per week
    • no longer attends school or university full time
  • You die, or your spouse or dependent child dies

Cancelling your coverage

To cancel your coverage, tell us in writing the specific coverage you want to end:

  • Sign into My Account and click the envelope for Message Centre


  • Mail or fax us and include three personal identifiers (such as your Person ID, full name, date of birth, telephone number and address) with your request

When your coverage will end

We will cancel your coverage at the end of the month we receive your request. For example, if you send us your cancellation request on April 5, we will cancel your coverage as of April 30. You can continue to use your coverage until April 30, as long as you submit any claims within the deadlines.

Please make sure your pharmacist, dentist or any other health care provider does not submit claims for services on your behalf after the last day of the month in which you submitted your cancellation request. If Pacific Blue Cross reimburses you for services received after your cancellation date, your coverage cancellation date will be moved to the last day of that month and the premium for that coverage will be deducted from your pension payment.

A message about the Canadian Dental Care Plan

If you are considering cancelling or declining dental coverage under the pension plan to enrol in the Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP), we recommend you first confirm your eligibility for the CDCP with Service Canada. Visit the CDCP website  and review the eligibility criteria or call Service Canada at 1-833-537-4342.

External links for extended health care coverage

Pacific Blue Cross

Medical Services Plan of BC