COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.
Submit a form to change your beneficiary
Send us a form to name a new beneficiary after you have retired.
Submit the Change of beneficiary (for retired member) form
- Complete the form online
- Print, sign and date the form
- Mail the form to BC's Municipal Pension Plan
Another way to change your beneficiary information
Sign in to My Account to change your beneficiary(ies).
You can also name beneficiaries in your will.
If you name beneficiaries for your pension benefit in your will, you should do the following to ensure your wishes are met:
- Name the Municipal Pension Plan
- Name the beneficiaries and designate a specific percentage of the pension benefit you want to leave to each beneficiary
- the percentages assigned must add up to 100 per cent
If the plan has both your will and your Change of beneficiary (for retired member) form, the document with the most current date will be considered valid.
You can change your beneficiary if you are receiving a:
- Single life pension with a guarantee for 5, 10 or 15 years and changing your beneficiary(ies) or alternates during the guarantee period
- Joint life pension with a guarantee for 5, 10 or 15 years and want to name an alternate beneficiary(ies) if your spouse dies before you during the guarantee period
- If you are naming a person as a beneficiary, provide their:
- full legal name
- date of birth
- mailing address
- If you are naming more than two beneficiaries or alternate beneficiaries, attach a separate sheet with:
- the information
- the same date as the form
- your printed name and signature
- If you are naming an organization as a beneficiary, you need to know its exact name (and chapter and branch, if applicable)
- include the organization's Canada Revenue Agency registration number to ensure faster payment
- If you are naming a trust, it is helpful to include its trust account number
Related content for naming or changing a beneficiary
Beneficiaries and your pension
Who you can name as a beneficiary