Buying service for arrears

Find out what to do if there was a period when you and your employer should have contributed to the pension plan but didn’t.

A period of arrears refers to a time when you and your employer should have been contributing to BC’s Municipal Pension Plan, but weren’t. There are two kinds of arrears: enrolment and payroll.

Enrolment arrears occur when you should have been enrolled in the plan, but were not. Therefore, you were not contributing to the plan.

Payroll arrears occur when you were enrolled in the plan correctly, but your employer did not deduct and forward the required contributions to the plan on your behalf.

When you are enrolled in the plan, you and your employer must both make contributions on your behalf. Your employer is responsible for deducting your contributions from your pay and submitting them to the plan.

You may want to check your pay stub regularly (especially after a leave) to make sure your pension contributions are being deducted. If you aren’t sure whether your employer has made (or is making) contribution payments on your behalf, follow up with your employer.

You, your current employer, your former employer or the pension plan can identify a period of arrears.