Dental plans

Learn about the dental plans available to you, your spouse and/or eligible dependant(s).

The Municipal Retiree Benefit Trust offers two optional dental plans for retired members and their spouses and/or eligible dependant(s). You are responsible for paying the full cost of the monthly premiums.

You may enrol in one of the two dental plans when you apply for your pension. If you do not apply when you retire and would like to apply at a later date, you must be able to provide proof of continuous coverage.

Read the Pacific Blue Cross Extended Health Care & Dental Plans booklet or contact Pacific Blue Cross to learn more.


If you enrol in either the Essential Dental or Enhanced Dental plan, you need to remain a member of the plan for a minimum of 12 months. After 12 months, you can cancel your coverage. If you decide to cancel, you can only re-enrol in either dental plan if you provide proof of continuous coverage in a comparable plan.

If you enrol in the Essential Dental plan, you must remain a member of this plan for 24 months before you can upgrade to the Enhanced Dental plan.

If you enrol in the Enhanced Dental plan, you cannot downgrade to the Essential Dental plan.

External links for extended health care coverage

Pacific Blue Cross

Medical Services Plan of BC